Quality Assurance and Airworthiness Division(QAAD) was formed in March 2021 with a small team of scientists/engineers having experience in diverse fields of aerospace and technologies. The sole purpose of forming this division was the intent of separating out the designers and the quality personnel to ensure quality in aerospace. It ensures the maintenance of highest quality in any aircraft design, development, production. The division serves as the single point of contact with different certification agencies. Currently QAAD is focussed on meeting the regulatory requirements towards the realisation of SARAS Mk-2 and HANSA-NG aircraft.
It also works towards approval of various sponsored projects like Light Combat Aircraft(LCA), Advanced Medium Combat Aircraft(AMCA) and development of radomes at different stages. It is helping out the organisation for transiting from the existing ISO 9001:2015 to AS9100 Rev D for all the aerospace projects.
- Compliance to AS9100, DDPMAS, CAR21, ISO for different projects of CSIR-NAL.
- Apex Quality Manual(AQM), other quality manuals and audit check lists of the organisation.
- Coordinates for preparation and maintenance of Divisional Quality Manuals(DQMs) of different divisions of the organisation.
- Type certification of aircraft.
- Type approvals of Line Replaceable Units(LRUs)
- Implementation of Safety Management System across design, production and maintenance units of CSIR-NAL including sub-contract agencies.
- Regulatory Clearance for ground tests and flight tests.
- Coordinates meetings like Preliminary Design Reviews, Critical Design Reviews with stake holders.
- Coordinates System and Aircraft level checks with regulatory authorities
- Arranges training for staff based on the allocated work.
- Audit and approval of vendors for outsourcing.
- Conducts Projects quarterly review meetings with top management and reports quality status/issues.
This division has five groups which are as follows:
Airworthiness Group: This group is responsible to coordinate with regulatory agencies for civil and military aircraft programmes.
Quality Control Group: This group is responsible for development and implementation of quality manuals for the aircraft production.
Quality Assurance Group: This group is responsible for periodic audit of aerospace manufacturing and test facilities whether in-house or in sub-contract premises.
Safety Management Systems Group: This group is responsible for the development, implementation and sustenance of Safety Management System(SMS) as per the regulatory requirements for SARAS Mk-2 and HANSA-NG programmes.
AS9100/ ISO Group: This group is responsible for development of AQM for AS9100 and ISO. It coordinates with ISO Divisional Representatives for development of DQMs, maintenance of Master file.
In summary QAAD coordinates overall interactions with regulatory agencies (both civil and military) for aerospace R&D projects of the laboratory and ensures subsistence of QMS in the laboratory